Откъс от книга първа на Станек

Мне, не е това, което си мислите... за архиви иде реч

Moderator: Moridin

HeavenWarrior
Scholar

Откъс от книга първа на Станек

Post by HeavenWarrior » Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:35 pm

Ето откъс от книга на феноменалния човек Робърт Станек, който заедно с още един феномен - Ашок Банкер са тръгнали на завладяване на света с умопомрачителни творби.
:? Шегата до тук! Аз лично ми хареса откъса.

Sunrise loomed across the horizon, pale as a jasmine and mostly obscured by dark, feral clouds. The early morning air held an unusual chill and Adrina gathered her light shawl more closely as she stepped out onto the catwalk atop the wall. A stout breeze blew long strands of hair across her face. The hair, black as the receding night, flowed to her waist and while it was normally braided and folded over her left shoulder, it wasn't now.
Summer must surely be at an end, Adrina surmised, for the breeze came from the North and not from the direction of the West Deep.
Adrina walked to a place where the wall jutted out and cut its way into High King's Square. Behind her the palace parade grounds were empty and silent, as was the square before her. The silence seemed a shroud over the whole of Imtal clear to the Braddabaggon. Many stories below, the city's residents would soon awake. The square would fill with sounds as merchants began to unpack their wares. Palace guardsmen would muster for breakfast. City and palace would stir to life.
Yet Adrina preferred the empty moments just before all this happened, for the silence echoed the aching of her heart. She pressed her chin into the palm of her hand, her elbow glued to the stone framework of the wall. She sighed mournfully. The palace was truly dead, all real life having long since been gnawed away.
She could have passed the day dreaming about things beyond the gray stone edifice, the cold palace wall, with its portcullis tucked cleanly out of view. She had sauntered through many a day thus, envisioning magnificent journeys to the four corners of the land.
Great Kingdom had many holdings. High Province in the north—the far, far North—where amidst mountains of ice and stone the rivers boiled and filled the air with blankets of fog. South, beyond a forest of great white trees called giant birch, lay South Province with its capital city enveloped by the majestic Quashan' valley. East through the Kingdom along the East-West road were the Territories, divided east and west. The untamed Eastern Territories were awaiting discovery. The Western Territories held but two Kingdom outposts: Zashchita and Krepost'. Traders claimed the walled city of Zashchita was carved from the very trees of the forest and its building lifted so far into the heavens that they were lost in the clouds. Beyond Zashchita lay Krepost' and her ferryman who took travelers across River Krepost' so they could begin the climb into the mountain city and where afterward the gatekeeper may or may not chase them over the cliffs into Statter's Bay and to their death! s.
But today Adrina was frustrated to the point of tears. She wouldn't pass the day dreaming of things she may never see. She didn't understand what difference the passing of a year made. Why did it matter so that she was a year older? This year seemed the same as the last.
She would have done anything, given anything, to be a little girl again, free to wander the city in her brother's shadow. Together they would wander Imtal's cobbled streets. She would pretend not to notice the press of guardsmen around them and see only those who had come out to greet them.
A fleeting smile lit her face. She knew this could be no more. Valam was gone now, gone to South Province, gone for good, and she, Adrina, was leaving adolescence.
The echo of footsteps against hard stones startled her. Her eyes went wide and she wondered if Lady Isador would venture to the walls. Her governess had threatened to before.
Adrina didn't want to be reminded of all the things she should or should not do, so she slipped away to the northern watchtower. At dawn the tower would be vacant and she could be alone without fear of interruption.
Adrina wound her way up a long spiral staircase. She stopped only at the very top to catch her breath and here at the landing was a large, open chamber whose broad windows were normally used to keep watch on the city's north wall and the fields beyond. Adrina crossed the empty chamber to a window. The cool breeze on her face tingled her nose and brushed the sweat away.
"No lessons today," she whispered to the wind. Lessons Chancellor Yi and Lady Isador would surely chastise her for missing—if they found her.
Not today, Adrina vowed, not today.
Always more reminders of the things she should or should not do—her proper place, always her proper place. She knew all about the proper things, the proper mannerisms, the proper greetings, her proper duties, her proper place. She had even been taught, though only recently, the proper things to do to invite a man's attention. She was to begin courting. But why?
What did she need a man for? Moreover, what would she do with one once she caught him? Was there anything she couldn't do on her own?
Leave Imtal, the wind seemed to say. That was right; on her own, she would never leave Imtal. The palace would be all she would see for the rest of her days, but did it have to be this way?
The wind howling as if in answer spurred Adrina on. "Courtship, marriage," she shouted back, "maybe it wouldn't be so bad, for surely all suitors don't live in Imtal."
As quickly as she said it, Adrina cast the notion away. Marriage had taken Calyin away. Adrina told the wind, "No, that's not for me."
She reveled in memories now, slipping back into the past and a time when everything seemed simpler. The minutes slipped away, and then Adrina pictured a beautiful sad face. Tears came to her eyes. Simpler times were not easier times.
"Why mother, why did you have to go? I have never forgiven you, never, and I never will. I am all alone now. Calyin is wed. Valam is in the South. Midori went away, never to return. And you, you are… gone. What am I to do? Can you know how much I loved you? And you always in that stupid garden."
Adrina waited. The wind howled, but no answer came.
"Queen Alexandria was beautiful. Land and people loved her very dear," said a figure from the shadows.
Adrina screamed; her heart stopped. Then in a sudden flood of thoughts, her young mind began to race—surely this must be a rogue come to steal her away.
Adrina said coyly, and hoped the other knew she wasn't telling the truth, "What manner of rogue are you? My father would hardly pay ransom for his third daughter. I am of little worth."
The robed figure still enveloped in shadows spoke again. "By the Mother, I never heard such a thing."
The figure moved toward Adrina who edged closer and closer to the open window behind her.
"Child, I will not harm you."
"Who are you and what are you doing here?" Adrina asked, brushing back hair from her eyes. "Your face it is covered in soot. Stop where you are or I will scream again."
"Go ahead, none will hear. I come to speak to you, Highness. I have seen you standing in this tower often."
"Who are you?"
"I live here. I clean. You will journey beyond Imtal. I have seen you in a far off place."
"Seen me?"
"In a dream… Smell the wind."
"Smell, the wind?"
"Child, smell it. It comes, can you not tell?"
"It?"
The strange woman took Adrina's hand and turned her to the window. The chill breeze was still howling out of the North. "Change, child. Sadness cannot hold forever the land."
Adrina turned to look at the woman's face. The woman directed Adrina's gaze away and pointed to the distant horizon. Adrina squinted her eyes and stared long. She imagined she could see Solstice Mountain and the whole of the Rift Range. In her dreams, she had journeyed there. The border country all around Great Kingdom was wild, to the north especially so. The sole purpose of the elite High Road Garrison Guardsmen was to provide travelers with safe passage along the Kingdom's High Road and to shield the Kingdom from bandit incursions out of the north. Beyond High Road was a vast desert called Barrens, a no man's land. Beyond the Barrens was the untiring Rift Range—ice-capped mountains of jagged black rock that climbed perilously into the heavens. Or so she had been told.
"Is that where I'll journey to?" Adrina asked, turning around. The woman was gone. "Hello?… Are you still here?"
The chill north wind howled. Adrina turned eyes filled with expectations back to the fields beyond Imtal. Calyin had told her once that in the North there were mountains that breathed rivers of fire.
Hearing what sounded like a foot slipping across the stones of the floor, Adrina spun around. "Hello? Hello?" she called out.
From the shadows the woman whispered, "Be careful what you wish for."
Adrina stepped toward the woman. "What do you mean?"
The woman, her face suddenly appearing aged beyond her years, took Adrina's hand. She kneeled then and as she kissed Adrina's hand, Adrina felt the moisture of tears on her arm. The woman whispered, "I cry for the children who at the end of the journey will never be the same. Child, I cry for you. I cry because I see you standing in the midst of a killing field. I cry for the thousands dead at your feet…"
(excerpt Copyright 2001-2002 Robert Stanek)
Book First, "Keeper Martin's Tale".
Гордостта заслепява хората и им отнема потребността от промяна. Затова за да извърви човек пътеката на истинската мъдрост, трябва да пристъпи върху нея през дверите на смирението.

Roland
Site Admin

Post by Roland » Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:47 pm

Бе не е лошо всъщност... ма фентъзи, мен вече май много не ми влиза...
And you can't dance with a devil on your back...

Trip

Post by Trip » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:08 am

НЕ Е ЛИ ЛОШО, БАТЕ!
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Ма то фентъзи, не ти влиза вече :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Roland
Site Admin

Post by Roland » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:10 am

Баси, така ше те банна, че ше ти вибрират корените на косата дни наред 8-)
And you can't dance with a devil on your back...

Trip

Post by Trip » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:10 am

изплез